Tuesday, July 25, 2006

The Gerrard AT6 Mark II and the Masterwork M-1716

We have just rediscovered music and it is rocking!

It has been a long time since I played a 33, at least15 years but I am thinking maybe even 17 or 18.

We are having so much fun with our new, old phonograph and its mint condition speakers and wooden case. I scored at the thrift store! We had been looking for a piece of furniture for this one wall, and we have always had it in our minds to find an old record player somewhere ( cant believe we got rid of the ones we had as teenagers!) so anyway this became a two for one- it serves as functional and fun!

Now we have a reason to sort through the used record bins at the Goodwill and I can help my mom get the hundereds of albums I inheritied from my late great Uncle Winnie out of her spare room and onto our turntable!! You see the catch, as most of you know, is that those albums are in Maine so the transporting part is not as easy as I would like it to be. Not easy, nor cheap but I will hopefully start getting regular shipments.
Furhter, I need to find one of those middle pieces that you use to convert the player to play 45's, because I have a 45 collection that was my dads from like the 50's and 60's that I listened to all the time as a child and sprouting adolescent .

A few notes about old records- they sometimes have posters and stickers inside- I am on the hunt for something way cool! Also as I learned last week - double check the record inside the sleeve before purchasing- not only can it be scratched beyond belief and likely unplayable, but upon further examination, not even the album or the band that I thought I was getting ready to play! Fleetwood Mac Rumours does not equal Glen and Bruce's Christmas Jamboree!

My most favorite score as of yet is one that is tantalizing my ears right now- Kenny Rogers Greatest Hits- for a buck!
What an awesome record- I know and love every word! I will never forget the night I got to hear all those tunes live from the man himself in Memphis TN- Sept 99- It was phenomenal and I'm not ashamed to say that I cried...love you Mr. Gambler!

Vinyl will forever live on in the B household!

1 comment:

natalie said...

found you through michele's website. enjoy!